The VisArea is a shape object which is used to define indoor areas for culling and optimization purposes, as well as lighting.
Objects inside a VisArea won't be rendered from outside and vice versa, this can help with performance immensely.
VisAreas also can be setup to occlude certain lighting elements such as the Sun, which gives flexibility in setting up lighting for your indoor areas. Note that since CRYENGINE 3.6, AmbientColor is no longer supported and Environment Probes should be used.
Vis Areas can have any number of corners; just double-click when you want to add your last one.
Vis Area Properties
Specifies how high the visarea is.
Just for visibility in the editor this option defines if the area should be rendered as filled or not.
Affected By Sun
Specifies if shadows from the world outside the visarea can travel inside.
If this option is turned off the ambient color (sky color in time of day window) is not used indoors.
If true, Global Illumination won't be used inside this object.
Specifies how far the visarea is rendered.
Lets you choose to see only the skybox when you look outside the visarea.
Specifies if the ocean rendering should be visible inside the visarea.
Ignore Outdoor AO
Ignores the outdoor Ambient Occlusion.
Setting Up a Vis Area
- Place the Vis Area shape around your room.
- Set the height.
- Be sure everything related is inside the Vis Area.
- Try to stay on the grid by enabling "Snap To Grid".
- Keep the shape of the VisArea as simple as possible.
Transitioning from Indoor to Outdoor Areas
- If you leave the VisArea (indoor) everything behind you will disappear including the walls that are located inside.
- You will need a wall inside the VisArea and a wall outside the VisArea
- Transitions from indoor to indoor are handled the same way you have to have two walls one in room 1 and one in room 2.
- Also for better lighting you should add separate Vis Areas to each room.