3.8.6 ENGINE VERSION
This article contains information on how to install ans start CRYENGINE from Steam and how to install SDK package from other sources (prior to Steam).
If you want to install plugins for your digital content creation package, like 3dsMax or Maya, please use CryToolsInstaller.
Your PC and its System Requirements?
Check the following system requirements. Your PC MUST meet at least the minimum spec. before you install CRYENGINE EaaS through Steam.
Installing CRYENGINE through Steam
You will need a Steam account, if you don’t have a Steam account then go to Steam and register for an account.
Already have a Steam account? then login as per usual.
- Search for CRYENGINE under [search the store]
- Under Buy CRYENGINE Subscription Plan select a subscription plan that suits your needs
- Follow the on-screen instructions, installation doesn’t take long and normally requires no configuration changes or setting-up of your PC
For more information about Steam, Steam support and the various licence agreements that apply to the CRYENGINE product through Steam please follow the links below;
Additional Software Requirements (for CRYENGINE 3.5 and 3.6)
For 3.6, the following software is required:
- DirectX End-User Runtime (June 2010).
- Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable Package (both x86 and x64).
- Latest graphics card drivers.
For 3.5, the following software is required:
Extracting the SDK (versions prior to May 2014)
Prior to May 2014, CRYENGINE SDK was provided as a .zip archive format.
If you are going to use this version, there is no installation required, simply extract the .zip archive to a suitable location with a few advisories:
- Don't run the SDK from the User folder (includes Desktop, Downloads, My Documents, etc).
- If possible, run the SDK with administrator privileges to ensure you have enough system access for the engine to perform every task.
- Don't use spaces in the path (example -
- Don't use non-ascii characters in the path (example -
Once that is done you should update the plugins for any DCC tools you may use. See Installing CRYENGINE Plugins and Tools for more information.
Last step before you get started is to setup the Resource Compiler via the Settings Manager.
This setting is used for the exporters to find the Resource Compiler of CRYENGINE to finish processing exported assets.
Running the Evaluation Version
The evaluation version of Sandbox is protected to avoid public abuse. Therefore, in order to use Sandbox, an evaluator must enter one of the provided License Keys to validate the Sandbox installation.
In order to enable communication to the CRYENGINE LicenseServer, port 25379 must be open either from the client or from your proxy.
If your network is secured by a proxy, you can make sure Sandbox connects through that proxy by setting the following console variables to file system.cfg, in the CRYENGINE install directory.