General Setup in DCC Tools
The engine can automatically determine when elements of an object can be instanced. However, there are a few rules that need to be followed or instancing will not be possible:
- The meshes to be instanced need to have the exact same vertex coordinates and indices, the same UV coordinates, and the same material.
- Only the transformation may be different. The Elements can be translated, rotated, and uniformly scaled.
- Naming is not important.
Fence consisting of instanced elements (instances are blue).
General Modeling Workflow Tips
- Use the instance function to ensure identical mesh data.
- Rotate and scale objects to obtain variation.
- Do not apply a Reset XForm on the instances because the vertex data will become different.
Setup in Sandbox
No special setup is required in Sandbox, just place your object as a brush or simple entity.