In this article we discuss the steps required to obtain CRYENGINE V code via GitHub, such that modifications can be made.
This article assumes that users already have:
- An account with GitHub (sign up here)
- Installed the GitHub Desktop for Windows application on their PC (available here)
The Crytek GitHub repository (repo) can be found here.
Obtaining Source Code
- Go to the Crytek GitHub repo (this is GitHub.com) and sign in. This will open the CRYTEK/CRYENGINE repo.
- Fork the Crytek repo by clicking on the
- We now need to clone a repo, so open the GitHub desktop application (use the icon on your PC desktop). This opens the following screen. Click the Clone a repository button, the screen in step 4 will open.
- You now need to enter the name of your repo (in the URL or username/repository field). In our exampe it will be Cry-Doug/CRYENGINE. You can also change the Local path as you so desire. In our case we have chosen the D Drive of our PC. NOTE: We strongly recommend that if you want to compile Engine code then you save your repo on an SSD. Finally, click the Clone button.
- We now have a cloned repo named Cry-Doug/CRYENGINE. This can be seen be navigating back to
- We recommend creating a new branch for development, rather than using the pre-existing main, stabilisation, or release branches.
This will simplify merging future updates.
Third-party SDKs will be automatically downloaded when solutions are generated using CMake. Alternatively, the download_sdks.exe program can be used.
Restricted Access Code
In order to obtain console repositories, then you need to be a Sony PlayStation or Microsoft Xbox certified Developer. For more information about getting registered see here.