- Height maps have to be explicitly stored using the _displ suffix, i.e. road_displ.tif.
- Do not attach the height map as an alpha channel of the normal map. Using the alpha channel of the normal map has been deprecated and will no longer work. Save the displacement map in the alpha channel of your _displ texture. The RGB channels can thus be left empty.
- You must save your _displ texture using the CryTIF Photoshop plugin. The will write the correct meta data onto a .tif file for it to be converted to a .dds at run-time. In some cases you may need to click 'Generate Output' in the CryTIF dialog.
- When saving in CryTIF use the DisplacementMap preset to store _displ textures. Height maps will be converted to A8 textures. If you don't see any displacement, double check the format in the Editor's texture file dialog preview. If it isn't A8 fix the preset, save and reload.
- Ensure you are in High or Very High graphics spec.
- For CRYENGINE 3.4.x only: Your _displ texture must be located within the same folder as your bumpmap (_ddn) texture and use the same name. i.e; concrete_awesome_ddn + concrete_awesome_displ. There is no "Heightmap" slot, it is automatically loaded if found.
- When self-shadowing is enabled (Self Shadow Strength parameter above 0), the specular color/reflectance of the surface is forced to be monochrome (any chrominance/color is ignored). This is a deliberate limitation which is currently necessary for an efficient gbuffer encoding.