Specifies the source of default (starting) parameters for the effect.
- Standard: Uses the built-in (coded) parameter defaults. These are zero or off for most parameters, except for a few which serve as multipliers, and for which 1 is the more natural default.
- System: (default) Reads the "System.Default" effect to use as defaults. If no such effect exists, uses Standard defaults.
- Parent: Inherits paramUses the parent particle effect for defaults.
The Inheritance source has the following consequences:
- When you create a new effect, it takes its default parameters from the Inheritance source, which by default is System.
- The labels of all non-default parameters are highlighted in the Particle Editor. This allows you to quickly see which values you have actually changed.
- If you change the Inheritance source, it does not change any other parameters. However, different parameters may be highlighted, as their defaults have changed.
- To actually set parameters to their default values, press the Reset icon, or Reset item on the effect context menu. This can be done just after creating a new effect and changing its Inheritance value; or at any time during editing, to reset parameters to the selected Inheritance default. (Note: the Inheritance parameter itself is not changed by the Reset command.)
- When effects are saved to XML libraries, only non-default values are saved. When they are loaded from XML, the current defaults for the effect's Inheritance are used as a base.
- When you edit any parameters of a parent effect, the non-edited parameters of all children (and descendents) which have Inheritance = Parent will be instantly updated.
- To customize the default effects for your game, create a System library, and a Default effect.
- If you edit the System.Default effect, and then Save the System library, the non-edited parameters of all effects and emitters will be updated.
- To customize the default effects for a specific Configuration, create a child of the System.Default effect, give it any name you want, set its Inheritance = Parent (not required, but helpful), set its Configuration parameters to a subset of possible configurations (e.g. VeryHigh only), and then edit its effects. When the engine looks for the default parameters to use, it looks for the deepest effect in the System.Default family which matches the current engine configuration.