In CRYENGINE the environment is very interactive - things move, collisions occur and things break. Furthermore, when two materials touch, a sound is often generated.
|Table of Contents|
Sounds and Physics
The interaction between two materials is described in a file called MaterialEffects.xml (located in
Game folder>\Assets\gamedata.pak, and within this *.pak file, in
Libs\MaterialEffects). Opening this file with spreadsheet software will show a matrix, with surface types in the first column/row.
Example: When an Entity with an assigned surface type of mat_wood collides with the surface_type mat_metal the corresponding cell in the spreadsheet contains the text: collisions:wood_metal. This text indicates that the effect is called wood_metal - this is situated in the
FXLibs\collisions.xml file and the audio system Trigger to be played is described therein.
Special Table Entries
In some cases the material of an object is not enough to describe its sound probabilities. For example, a barrel (made out of sheet metal) dropped to the ground sounds very different from a sheet metal roof being hit by something.
- Breakage:Breakage: When an object of said surface type breaks; can be a partial destruction.
- Breakage:Destroy: When an object of said surface type is completely destroyed.
- Breakage:Joint_Break: When the joint of an object breaks.
- Breakage:Freeze_Vapor: Points to the sound made when frozen articles vanish upon destruction.
- Breakage:Freeze_Shatter: Points to the sound made when frozen articles shatter.
A separate file called
FXLibs\projectiles.xml is used to reference bullet effects.
NOTE: A delay can be put into the effect so that the player can hear the sound of the bullet impacting even while still shooting. Also, a bullet hitting a special object, such as a barrel, will create a sound according to the object's assigned material (for example, sheet metal).
Delay in projectiles.xml
Bypassing the Table for Vegetation Objects
Entries in the
FXLibs\vegetation.xml file bypass the table in the MaterialEffects.xml file and result in audio system Triggers based on the name of the vegetation.
- mfx_Debug: Turns on MaterialEffects debug messages (1=Collisions, 2=Breakage, 3=Both).
- mfx_Enable: Enables MaterialEffects.
- mfx_EnableFGEffects: Enables Flow Graph based MaterialEffects (Default: On).
- mfx_ReloadFGEffects: Reloads MaterialEffect's Flow Graphs.
- mfx_Reload: Reloads the MFX Spreadsheet.