Setting Up Equipment Packs
After completing this tutorial, you will be able to give weapons and equipment items to AI entities and to the player. You will also be able to carry the inventory of the player from one mission to another, as well as give the player specific items at the start of a level.
Weapons and Equipment
Editing Equipment Packs
On the Game menu, click Edit Equipment-Packs.
Using the drop-down list, select one of the Equipment-Packs.
Or, create a new pack by clicking Add.
Add and remove weapons and equipment items to and from the lists by using the << and >> buttons.
Enemies can be configured to have an unlimited amount of ammunition so that you don't need to specify the number of bullets.
Editing Enemy Equipment Packs
You can also access the equipment pack editor by clicking EquipmentPack in the properties of a character with a weapon.
Changing Player Equipment Packs
The Flow Graph equipment packs from the last mission can be reused by setting these Flow Graph nodes:
Note: To test a mission, or to give the player a bunch of weapons at the beginning of the level, use the ADDEQUIPPACK node and connect it to the start node.
- Open the Flow Graph view pane (View/Open View Pane/Flow Graph).
- Drag a Mission Objective entity to the Perspective viewport and click Add Selected Entity in the Flow Graph window.
- Ensure that all the components are active (View/Components).
- Add a LocalPlayer node (Add Node/Game/).
- Add a Start node (Add Node/Misc/).
- Add an AddEquipPack, RestorePlayerInventory, and StorePlayerInventory node (Add Node/Inventory/).
- Add an EndLevelNew node (AddNode/Mission/).
- Connect the entityID to the input field of the Inventory node.
- Connect the Start node output node to the Trigger event on the Inventory node (the connection is not displayed in the following screenshot because usually, you should use the Restore Players Inventory to load the previous mission's inventory).
Giving the Player Individual Weapons and Items
To give the player individual weapons and items, the Inventory Flow Graph nodes should be used.
Right-click the Flow Graph window.
* AddItem: Adds an item/weapon to the player's inventory
- HasItem: Checks whether the player has a specific item
- ItemSelected: Checks whether the player has selected a specific item
- RemoveAllItems: Removes all the items from the player's inventory
- RemoveItem: Removes a specific item from the player's inventory
- SelectItem: Selects a specific item in the player's inventory, if available
Use the Add Node/Misc/Start node to give the player a GaussRifle at the beginning of the level.
When the player starts the mission, he will have the GaussRifle right at the beginning.
Some things to experiment with:
Play with the equipment packs to give the player an interesting setup at the start of the level, or to create a unique and varied feel to the enemy types.
If you're working with multiple level setups, it's a good idea (for testing purposes) to give the player appropriate weapons. However, when streaming between levels, it's a good idea to make sure that you don't give the player new weapons for free, or even take away any.