Currently, you can create logical links by using either Level Explorer or through the entity properties in the Properties Panel. This is used to logically associate two objects to each other; for example, to connect an area shape to an area trigger.
The are two methods to logically link objects in a level:
- Object Linking Using Level Explorer
- Object Linking using Entity Links
Object Linking Using Level Explorer
Adding objects to a group and linking is possible through the Level Explorer.
- If you drag an object onto a group or prefab, the object will be added to that group or prefab
- If you drag an object onto a layer, it will be moved to that layer
- If you drag an object onto another object, both objects will be linked
- If both the dragged objects and the target are entity objects and the target entity has bones, then a menu will be displayed through which you can link to a bone or the object itself
Object Linking using Entity Links
You can create logical links by using the entity properties browser in the RollupBar. This is used to logically associate two objects to each other; for example, to connect an area shape to an area trigger.
To link an object using Entity links, please follow the below steps:
- Select the Entity and scroll down to the Entity Links section in the Properties Panel.
- Then, click Pick and then select the desired target with which you want to link. A green line will indicate that the link process has been successfully completed.
You can edit the link properties in the Properties Panel. If you cannot see the link like in the picture above, make sure you have Display OBject Links enabled in the editor preferences (Edit->Preferences->Viewport->General).
This will allow you to give the link a new name.
Select Clear to remove the links. This will permanently remove the link.
Pick New Target
To pick a new Target, click the Arrow button next to the Target field.
Linking During Run-time by Using Flow Graph
Flow Graph will also allow you to link and unlink objects while the game is running.
The associated nodes are found in the Entity folder in Flow Graph. The two Nodes are Attach Child (to attach an entity) and Detach This (to detach an entity).