Starting CRYENGINE Sandbox
Crytek recommends using a 64-bit computer for production work with Sandbox.
On a 64-bit PC, CRYENGINE Sandbox can be started by running the Editor.exe application found in the
If you are using the source code, the Getting Started with Engine Code is an important document for you to read.
As of CRYENGINE 3.6, only the 64-bit Editor is supported.
It is also possible to run the Sandbox Editor in 32-bit mode, by starting the Editor.exe application from the
The 32-bit version is just provided as-is without any further support by Crytek. Using the 32-bit version of Sandbox might result in the application crashing when doing a lot of editing work on a level.
When you start the Sandbox Editor, after initial load, you'll be greeted with a welcome screen. This screen will give you a few options on what you can do next:
- New Level - Opens the New Level dialog which allows you to create a new level.
- Open Level - Opens the Open Level dialog which filters level files and allows you to quickly and easily open any levels you have in your build. For levels with more than one .cry file, a tree will appear to allow you to select which .cry file to open.
- Open Documentation - Opens the SDK documentation in your web browser.
- Open Recent - As you open different levels, this list will populate with quick-links to the most recently opened levels.
- Auto-load last opened level on startup - If enabled, Sandbox will automatically load the last level you had opened. To reset this behavior, under the Tools\Preferences menu, Inside General Settings you can un-tick the check box to stop the auto loading of the level.
- Don't Show - If you don't wish for this welcome screen to show on startup, you can disable it by checking this box. You can also re-enable it via the Editor Preferences.
- Close - This closes the welcome screen, not Sandbox itself. Be aware that there will probably be a slight pause after clicking this, while Sandbox continues loading.
This topic helps you locate Sandbox on the hard drive and start the Sandbox Editor.